Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Football



I am a football fan. Whatever else I might say about Tennessee, I love the University of Tennessee Volunteers. I mean my father lived in Neyland Stadium for goodness sakes! [true story there was apparently a major overcrowding problem during my fathers freshman year at UT and they had him living in an office, makes people who lived in CUA's lounges not feel so bad?] I have been cheering for the Vols for as long and I can remember and I love Payton Manning [and i have since 1996 - yes that is two years after he stared as the starting quarterback, I was ignoring football before then].

So this weekend broke my heart. Stupid Patriots. I have begun to barrow my Grandma's phrase for Frank Sinatra and applying it to Tom Brady, "Pig of a Man." Grumble Grumble Grumble. I was not horribly invested in this game until I listened to an interview with a Patriots supporter who reffered to my beloved Payton as "Satan Manning." Grumble Grumble Grumble.

But on the bright side, I was pretty excited [don't hate me Meghan et al] that Navy beat Notre Dame. I came away from this game Loving Navy. These are boys (and yes they still are boys) who have been told they they are not big enough to play college ball - no they are just big enough to serve in the military. These players have some incredible stories. Look them up, I mean it. So that was exciting. My step-father and I drove my mother crazy with our cheering and cussing and the television. It was amusing.

But that brings me to my Father. No matter how much we fight or whatever we can always talk about The Vols. Except for my extreme youth my my mother taught me to chant "Go, Bear Go." But otherwise we can cheer on the Vols together, rehash games, and be excited about the same things. And thats nice, especially since we live in different states. So maybe it is remembering High School Friday nights in the Stone Castle, or hearing "its Football Time in TENNESSEE," or just a nice way to connect with other people - I LOVE FOOTBALL

No comments: