My favorite author died last week. It always seems weird to me to pick a favorite author, but based on longevity Madeline L'Engle would have to be my favorite. The first book she wrote that I read was a Wrinkle in Time. It is a wonderful book that has inspired many people.
But, my obsession (shall i say that) with her writing came in the 6th Grade when I read The Moon by Night. This book traces the Austin family as they go on a road trip across American and Canada. Without giving you a detailed synopsis - the hero Vicky Austin deals with growing up, falling in love, and trying to come to terms with religion and the problem of evil. Big Stuff for my 6th Grade self. Vicky Austin, in all of her books, is well drawn and articulate. Sometimes her's is a voice I sometimes hear myself lapsing into, in my head [though my poetry is very bad].
Vicky is easy to identify with because among a large and loving family, she is often isolated. She is an artist (a poet and writer) in a family of scientists [her father is a doctor, her older brother becomes an astrophysicist, and her younger sister becomes a doctor]. She often longs for peace and quite - and time to think - in a family of 4 children, 2 parents, and 2 dogs. All feelings that I (an only child - oddly enough) could immediately feel, not understand but feel.
My favorite of the books written about Vicky is A Ring of Endless Light. In this book Vicky and her family go to stay with her grandfather while he dies of leukemia. Vicky reads to her grandfather as he deteriorates. Among all of this there are relationships with three different men/boys [the most appealing is Adam Eddington, who Vicky is DESTINED to be with, a hem - excuse me], and adventures with dolphins.
I came to this book when I was doing in home elder care. I read this book 5 times in one summer, taking comfort in the idea that you have to chose life and light over the darkness and tragedy that can threaten to overwhelmed the strongest of us. I continued to read this book over and over until I came to the worst period of my life. During my junior year of college at least 6 people I knew/from my family died within a short time. And I couldn't pick up the book again for a year and a half.
When I came back to the book, I was in a very different place [emotionally, religiously, intellectually] and I worried I would find the book preachy, or grating. I wasn't, It was still beautiful but very different. My favorite quote despite my changing views on religion still remains poignant:
"Prayer was never meant to be magic."
"Then why do it?" Asked Suzy.
"Because it is an act of love."
So, Thank You Madeleine L'Engle, for writing books that have inspired and challenged so many of us. And for coming to a little school in Virginia - and inspiring me to write, even for myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment