Friday, September 7, 2007

Wedding Season: Part III - The Rehersal Dinner

So as I collapse into bed at my Grandmothers (note: I do not call her MeMaw - this is a point of contention) I fully expect to drift off into a peaceful uninterupted sleep. In my dreams (so it were).

As my eyes were drooping closed a horrible thought entered my brain:

What if the top of my dress is different from everyone else's?

What if our sashes were actually supposed to be Ice Blue not Cream?

What if what I thought where my super-cute black strap-y heels was actually just an empty box?

What if....... and the awful images keep flowing - Usually accompanied by a crying bride and a shouting aunt.

An HOUR later i finally calm down enough to get to sleep (note: it is now 1:30 ish)


My sleep is fitful and disturbed. Suddenly, in the middle of a horrible dream about running away from something [a crazed bride perhaps?] my body is shaken violently. My eyes slam open and I see my grandmother. From my mouth comes a streak of cuss words I have rarely used [I don't think she actually hear because I was mumbling]. She looks and me and says, "I thought you might want to get up early?" It was 6:20. What a way to wake up.

So I attend a bridesmaid's breakfast. Which turned into creating favors [which was actually pretty fun]. We had boxes, there were M & M's [four colors - one multi-colored with personalized messages, dark blue, bright blue, and cream]. The colors were mixed (one bag at a time), M & M's scooped [that was my job] into bags, the bags sealed, the bags put into boxes, the boxes wrapped with ribbon, the ribbon sealed with a monogram. 150. exactly. think about that.

Then we were given the binders. Officially known as The Wedding Survival Guide, I began to call it the binder of doom. My cousin missed her calling in life, she is an architect [as exemplified by the 8 perfect, scaled, diagrams of the lay out of the wedding and reception for different contingencies] but she should have been a Field Marshall. There three schedules, eight diagrams, and 6 maps. read that again. Seriously.

Later that day we went to the rehersal dinner (no rehersal mind you, that was 8 AM the next morning). Which was lovely. The Best comment of the afternoon was from my Grandmother to me : "Well you have behaved very well." I walked away.

No comments: